Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Ragi mini pooris/ Finger millet mini pooris

This is the snack that I concocted along the way as a super last minute way to manage sudden unannounced arrival (Haha...) of hunger and craving for a salt snack. I had some Ragi flour at home and it was the pre-evening (as Jim Parsons, enacting the character of Sheldon Cooper famously says in TBBT.) coffee time. My hubby and myself were planning for a quiet coffee during a weekend when this started. Not having anything to munch-on, I decided to make something. Finding Ragi flour in the pantry, I suddenly got an idea for this and made it. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and equally less time to deep fry.

Makes 10 mini-pooris for the quantity below.

Ingredients

Ragi flour/ Finger millet flour         1/2 cup
Salt                                                   As needed
Red chilli powder                            1 tsp
Asafoetida                                       A pinch
Oil                                                   To deep fry

Method


  1. In a stir fry pan, take oil to deep fry and heat oil in medium heat.
  2. Simultaneously, mix all the dry ingredients together, add a little water and make it to a tough dough like thattai maavu / poori dough.
  3. Divide the dough to small balls (1 inch diameter) similar to the size that we make while making thattai. 
  4. Grease the hand with little oil and grease a plastic sheet/ziploc. Flatten the balls on a greased ziploc to the size of a thattai (Hehe... now you got me... what I started to make and what I ended up with.... I forgot to make tiny holes on it for the first batch and everything just puffed-up gloriously to mini-pooris.)
  5. Test if the oil is hot enough and drop them. They will puff up to pooris 
Have them as hot mini pooris. If, deciding to make some small holes with a toothpick and make it as thattai, please do not fry for long as it tastes a bit bitter. It tastes great as mini-pooris and thattais too. Ragi is rich in calcium. Enjoy this delicious evening snack! It just needs a coffee with it.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!