Monday, November 30, 2015

Maida cake

Maida burfi

This is second of the cakes/burfi syle sweet that I tried , the first one being mysorepak. Both turned out great the first time itself. I am generally not a sweet person, but, when I tried maida cake/burfi for the first time more than a decade ago, made by my m-i-l, I just fell head over heels in love with it. I had to! I had no other choice.  I had to try it out myself. I am sharing the recipe here.


Ingredients

Maida/ All purpose flour                                       1 cup
Sugar                                                                     2 cups
Ghee                                                                      1/2 cup

And that's about it! That is all you need for this melt-in-the-mouth madness!

Method

  1. Heat ghee in a pan. Ghee should be hot enough to fry maida/all purpose flour, meaning when you sprinkle a pinch of maida in it, it should get fried immediately.
  2. Add all the miaida in hot ghee and fry it for a good 2 - 3 mins. It emanates an intoxicating aroma. Switch off the stove and keep this aside.
  3. Take a stir fry pan, add sugar and just enough water to immerse sugar, heat it and let the sugar syrup boil until it reaches the one-string consistency.
  4. Switch off the stove and now everything done after this is off the stove and fire. Now transfer the fried maida mixture to this sugar syrup and keep mixing.
  5. Within the next two to three  minutes, things will get solidified and will be felt in your hand while mixing and the mixture will come to a pourable consistency (leaving the sides ).
  6. Pour the mixture on to a plate greased with a tsp of ghee and flatten it with a spatula. 
  7. Cut it to pieces when it is still warm. Let it cool down.
  8. Burfis are ready when it is completely cooled down to room temperature and it comes out of the plate just like that.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!