Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kothamalli (Coriander) kozhambu!

Heyy guys!



I am back after a long time! I will start posting some of the interesting recipes I came across in my absence!


This is my maternal grandma's delicious recipe! I have always enjoyed her cooking from my childhood days with glossy rasam drenched bright orange mehendi hands and "Romba nanna irukku athai!" comments. I was fortunate enough to grow up with her showering love and unconditional support. Sitting here somewhere in the west corner of the globe and thinking about her is one of my sweetest and most bitter pass times , sweet in the sense that, all were of enchanted memories of her being a magician and bitter in the sense that I am so far away from her , that her lap which once was soooooo reachable is thousands of miles away!



The good about coriander:

This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.



Ingredients:

Coriander leaves - 1 cluster( 200 gms)

Tamarind - Lemon sized

Red chillies - 6 - 7 nos

Black pepper - 20-30 nos

Salt - to taste
Refined Sunflower oil - 20 ml
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp

Procedure:

1.) Grind coriander leaves, red chillies and black pepper together to a consistency of a paste.
2.) Make a rather thick syrup out of tamarind.
3.) Heat a saute pan , add oil and mustard seeds to split.
4.) Pour the coriander paste into the pan and stir it in medium heat for 5-6 mins.
5.) Add tamarind syrup, mix well and add salt to taste. Let it boil together for 5 mins.
6.) Serve it hot with rice and poosanikkai morkootu goes very well as a side dish!

You can preserve it in the fridge to make it as a sidedish for dosai, idli, curd rice and the list goes on and on and on! Stays on fresh for even 2 weeks.

4 comments:

jayaram balasubramanyam said...

bones strong aa irukka yenna vegetable saapdanum , can u tell me

தக்குடு said...

hello, next post podungo! iyer messai avloo easyyaa mudida mudiyaathu....:)

Akhila said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Akhila said...


@ thakkupandi. Mess reopen aayaachuuu :)))

 
My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!