Saturday, November 21, 2015

Aloo and Spinach pulav / Urulai keerai pulav

I am posting this recipe as part of easy cooking/ Travel cooking series. I will be posting recipes which can be made with minimal resources like with only a saucepan if you have an access to a stove or in an electric cooker if you have access to a plug point. There will be many recipes that I concocted along my way during my travel, when I had difficulty accessing vegetarian food or wanted to have the luxury of a home-cooked meal elsewhere. I will be using dry  powders a lot instead  of fresh ones as I will not have the resources to grate/shred etc., or will not have access to its availability. I have used butter instead of ghee. I always carry cumin seeds, red chilli powder and ginger powder with me as they r life savers. Rest I buy it from the local supermarket wherever I am.


Ingredients:

Basmathi rice                   - 1 cup
Potatoes (medium sized) - 2 nos
Spinach                           - 200 gms
Ginger powder                - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder           - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies                 - 4 nos slit
Cumin seeds                   - 1/2 tsp
Butter                             - 1 tbspn
Salt                                 - As needed


Method:

1.) Boil potatoes and keep it aside if you have the time and resources. Else, dice the potatoes to very small size and keep it aside. If boiled, mash slightly and keep it aside
2.) Add butter to the electric cooker/  a saucepan if you have access to a stove. Let it melt
3.) Add cumin seeds to splutter. Add split/ slit green chillies. Let it fry for a minute.
4.) Add spinach and let it shrink and cook for a couple of minutes. Add potaoes and mix. If boiled previously, let it cook together for a minute. If not, then leave it for a couple of more minutes mixing well occasionally.
5.) Add basmathi rice at this point, salt , ginger powder and  red chilli powder mix well. Add 2 cups of water and cook until the rice is soft.

This aloo/spinach pulav can be had with plain natural yogurt, chips and if you are lucky enough to have access to achar.  This recipe has an added advantage of metamorphosing into a scintillating soup for winter days by adding just extra water while cooking.

No comments:

 
My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!